Should I be counting my macros?
Personalized nutrition and macro counting
One of the latest trends in the health and fitness industry is to manage food intake by keeping track of macronutrients, i.e. the amounts of protein, carbohydrate and fats that are consumed in a day. While there are many benefits to precise measurement of food, it can also be time consuming and hard to implement long term. If you have been thinking about jumping on the bandwagon here are some questions to consider before making the jump to the next nutritional level.
- Is the majority of your diet whole unprocessed foods?
- Are you getting enough of your daily nutrient requirements from the foods you eat and not just from supplements?
- Are the majority of your beverages non-caloric and non-alcoholic?
- Are you staying hydrated enough to sustain your activity level and body size?
- Do you have appetite awareness?
- Are your eating habits consistent? i.e, skipping meals, eating until over – stuffed?
- Are you getting enough physical activity? Too much?
- Do you sleep at least 7-9 hours a night?
- Can you prepare basic nutritious meals and recipes?
- Do you shop efficiently for as high quality foods that you can afford?
- Are you able to make time to plan and prepare a menu?
- Do you have a supportive environment for nutritional changes?
While we are all human and not many of us are going to be accomplishing every single one of the tasks above, they are all individually great places to start dialing in our nutrition before beginning to count macronutrients. Once you have the majority of these habits in place, the next step then would be to consider weighing and measuring your food to help you achieve your nutrition goals.
Whether you are ready to take on macro counting or trying to just get the basics down a nutrition coach can be really helpful to guide you along the way. Take some time, think about your goals, and do some research on your options for nutrition coaching. Usually working one on one with a personalized coach is going to lead to the best results with least amount of frustration.
-Alye Deroma, Certified Precision Nutriton Coach
For inquires on our nutrition program please visit here or email email@example.com